DUAL AXIS TILE MAPS

In a recent tile map tutorial session a user asked me if it was possible to add conditional borders onto the tiles.  Initially I thought "no" but then I quickly came to the realization that you could achieve the same outcome with a dual axis and squares of different sizes.  Here are two dual axis tile map ideas that I came up with.

Disclaimer: After creating these examples I haven't decided if these are great ways to show data but it can be done.


Tile map with conditional borders



Dual axis graphs or maps allow you to overlay two graphs on one sheet. 

In order to create the tile map with borders create a regular tile map (with gradient) and a tile map where the tile colors are whatever you want the border to be.  To accomplish two tile maps on one sheet add "Row" or "Space" to the sheet again.   The border color can be a conditional calculation or a dimension. 



To over lay the two maps right click on the second "Row" or "Space" pill and select dual axis. Don't forget to synchronize the axes so everything lines up.  Using the marks card adjust the sizes of the squares so the "border" square is bigger and gives you the width you prefer.


Tile map colored by region and sales



This tile map uses a dimension color (region) and gradient. In this example I wanted to be able to distinguish between each region and still see the amount of sales. The darker the region color the more sales and vise versa. 

Using the same principal created as the first example create a tile map that shows sales and a second tile map distinguishing each region. 


Overlay the two maps to create a dual axis and synchronize. Using the marks cards adjust the transparency (under color) in each mark until you get a desired result.

Warning: These tile maps can be very useful and provide a lot of information but make sure you don't try to show too much.  Limit your border and secondary colors otherwise your tile map is going to be confusing!


Take a look at the dual axis tile map workbook and download it on Tableau Public.



5 comments:

  1. This information here will surely be of some help to me : usefull site

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! keep up the good work Sales Coaching UK

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salesforce for wide range of industries. One can completely trust on us and be confident that we will deliver the best Lightning platform for all your CRM needs. Salesforce training in Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire this article for the well-researched content and excellent wording. I got so involved in this material that I couldn’t stop reading. I am impressed with your work and skill. Thank you so much. this page

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. https://maps.lol/petco-us-nd-11228

    ReplyDelete